Monday 14 September 2009

Mediocrity, Excellence and the Heart Behind It All.

I've often wished I'd been blessed with an extraordinary talent.... the voice of an angel or a Mozart-like musical precociousness or an irresistible charisma.... Sadly that is not my portion. I can sing a bit and play a bit and I hope I am not totally devoid of personality, but my 29 years have so far revealed that I was not born with exceptional talent.

(and yes, I know that I am made in the Image of God and I am exceptional and unique etc.... this is not a post born out of insecurity, rest assured, so don't leave "but David you are wonderful"comments. This I already know.)

But I have been pondering a lot recently on the nature of excellence, particularly in the context of worship. Although I may never be the best, do I settle for not doing my best?

Am I comfortable with my mediocrity?

Well, no actually, I'm not.

It is dangerous ground to start talking about standards in worship because there is only one standard that ultimately counts - the heart of worship behind our songs and words and music. But recently I have been moved by the 'excellent' nature of Old Testament worship - it was always the best.

The best cows. The best doves. The best grain. The Temple made from the finest wood, purest gold and perfectly crafted stone.

Yet with that I know, as every good worship leader should, 1 Samuel 16:7 like a mantra.

Heart. Heart. Heart - it is what the Lord wants more than anything else from us.

Ring fence that thought now. For what I'm about to say may seem contradictory to that - bear with me.

God still wants our best. Actually, I think God still demands our best.

I heard a new worship song recently that was featured somewhere and as I listened to it I was underwhelmed by its mediocrity. Bland tune. Bland chords. Bland lyrics. It was the kind of song that would be good only if it was the first song you ever wrote.

I have no doubt that the heart behind it was sincere. None at all. And I have no doubt that in what really matters, the issue of heart, God was satisfied with this song. But in every other way it was utterly unsatisfying. And although those 'standards' are not the most important thing, the central thing, they equally, are not nothing.

But we want to encourage, don't we? And we don't want to criticise, do we? So we say "Yes that's a great song, well done". There is another name for this kind of encouragement: Lying.

If we say all is good and nothing is great then we kill all achievement. I think some in the church would have it this way. And so we hear mediocre song after mediocre song and we sing bland lyric after bland lyric and we read boring book after boring book. All in the security that what matters is heart so every other consideration is pointless at best and devious or idolatrous at worst.

Wesley Owen is full of good intentions and bad songs and boring books.

So we forget about doing our best. We forget about working hard to be a good writer before we publish a book. We forget about learning more than 5 chords before we promote a song. So we call the mediocre songs good and the good songs great and nobody ends up making anything that's really very good anymore. We kill all drive to improve, to progress, to evolve. We forget about all standards of excellence and achievement and merit because all God wants is our hearts. Right?

No. I don't think so.

We need to do our best because of hearts for Him, not in spite of them. We do our best because of who He is. So we don't say "that's a great song" when it isn't. We don't have to shoot it down in flames either, but we are able to encourage the person without lying about the achievement. Much in the same way that we love people but don't affirm their sin. It just take a little pastoral nous, that's all - and the Holy Spirit is great at that sort of thing.

God wants our hearts, firstly and utterly. But let us never forget that He also wants our very best.



Comments and discussion, as always, are greatly received...

dg

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this, thank you.

I think it's always the safer option to say 'that's a nice song' even though you wouldn't use it in a million years. But it's not kind in the end.

Seems to me, the qualification for telling anyone anything is a humble heart and the desire to build up. We are stakeholders in each other's excellence.

David Gate said...

thanks....

desperate not to get away from heart when we talk about excellence... in the end it is what matters most... but as Lester Freamon would say "all the pieces matter"

dg

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

What does this sentence mean?

"It just take a little pastoral nous, "

Thanks,

Phil

David Gate said...

Hi Phil...

it means you need a little pastoral sensitivity or even cleverness when working with people on their songs - so that we do not say it is good or great when it is not whilst still affirming and and encouraging the person.

And it isn't as hard as you think it might be - the truth in love is always the best road to take...

Whenever I'm offering criticism/advice etc. on other people's songs or whatever I try and insist that two things happen:

1.They go away encouraged
2.They go away with the truth

Then they grow and they write better songs.

That's how I've seen it work anyway....

dg

Andy said...

Hi David,

Like the post. This is a tricky one indeed. Its long been the way that the Christian music industry has appeared to award the mediocre becasue it doesn't offend and is likely to sell to American housewives who like a husky male voice to listen to in the afternoons!!

This is why female artists have a harder time over there because they don't sell as much. Cynical maybe, but it seems to be true.

The thing that struck me last year, was that yes I have a ceiling of talent, I'm not sure what that is, but I'd like to use whatever I have to the best of abilities.

This includes not just writing songs and then saying well thats that, but investing time in reading books on songwriting, lyrics, and muscial theory as well as listening to a wide range of music to get ideas and gain wider influences. Doing all this has made me be better able to use whatever gift I have and I want to say at the end of my days I did my best with what God gave me.

There will always be someone better than me, but instead of getting hung up on that I've decided to just invest in what I think I can do, and give it my best shot. Some of my songs are very bad and some are good, and in the next few years, maybe I'll write one or two very good songs, you never know. I have benefited greatly from seeking feedback on songs, and the truth hurts yes, but its greatly needed. Your feedback on my songs did leave me feeling encouraged and recognising where things need to be improved, this is essential. Being nicey nicey about worship songs is very risky, writers just won't get better if they are always mollycoddled. Brian Doerksen's comment on Kathryn Scott's song 'Hungry', was intially - 'it might work', not 'that'll sell by the bucket load!'. It's a good song after all but honest and truthful appraisal of songs will always result in better songs for people to sing.

I recently heard a new song by a well known writer and I was astonished at where all the creativity had gone from a writer who has written many good songs but appears to be sucked into the whole Nashville scene, somebody should have said 'Is this really the best you can do?'.

Enough ramblings, have a great day.

Andy

David Gate said...

great thoughts, as always Andy...

Kev Burgess said...

Hi David,

Great post, needs to be said. I think that as communities we can often fall into the trap of massaging ego's in place of telling the truth. I once heard a story told by a speaker who talked about a person who had been singing in the worship band for over a year, but who he never "heard". He asked the sound guys to turn her up, and they refused, saying "he/she has an awful voice, but no-one has told him/her". The speaker "pastored" the individual (i.e. told them the truth) and helped them uncover their true gifts and released them into serving Christ, the church, and indirectly themselves, rather than just serving themselves.

I wonder how many examples there are of this across the country?

I also agree with your points on worship songs, as we often "sing what we're given" rather than creating a new song. I still don't know what this looks like but I'd sure like to be part of the creative process.

Comfort and ease...can't see it ever reaping real growth and movement, and this is the real matter of heart.

Kev Burgess said...

..just had one other thought. How can we balance up the need to make music and songs that are easily "picked up" by our congregation, and sung in our worship services, without them becoming mediocre, and 5-chord based? One of the things I hear again and again in songwriting seminars etc...is that we need to bear in mind when writing, that a congregation will be trying to sing a song. Is this requirement preventing some creativity and excellence being purveyed through worship songwriting, as people fear bringing creative ideas into the arena of worship songs which are aimed at your church?

David Gate said...

hey kev... your question is a great one...

the often stated 'simplicity for the sake of the congregation' thing is a fallacy...

you look at almost every popular hymn and they skip around the chords, have high melodic leaps, often go out of the root key.... i mean those hymns make some serious demands on the congregations musical ability... (which is much higher than many modern songwriters would have us believe)

also take a look at some of the old Graham Kendrick songs - amazing love, servant king, shine jesus shine - they have some really interesting chord progressions and melodic movements...

go to a U2 gig and people will sing up to a top G or A... go to see Handel's Messiah and people will sing the 'Hallelujah Chorus' with absolute gusto....

5 chords and a simple tune is all a congregation can take?

Balls.

dg

Jonny Hughes said...

"Wesley Owen is full of good intentions and bad songs and boring books."

Never a truer word spoken.

JH

David Gate said...

cheers bud

Neil said...

Aren't your CD's in Wesley Owen?

David Gate said...

yes but as i said earlier on i am not ok with my mediocrity... but other people are so what do i know!