Friday 4 December 2009

My Albums of the Decade

I like making lists. But this one was very hard.

There are two factors I've taken into account when compiling this list; how 'good' I think the album is (songwriting, performance, production, creativity etc.) and how much I 'enjoyed' it. So some albums that are amazingly good (eg. Dear Science - TV on the Radio) wouldn't get a look in because I didn't fall in love with it. Whilst others like 'Parachutes' by Coldplay - which I enjoyed - did not make it because they aren't really that impressive or progressive at all. And because these records are impossible to rank I've put them in alphabetical order.... I tried doing just 10 - but I physically couldn't do it - so there's 20.... here goes:

Probably the best debut of the decade

I love his beats but his songs and outstanding

Beauty personified in album form

One of the most exciting bands around - an orchestral indie triumph

If you grew up where I grew up you'd get this record. Believe the hype.

The best soul record of the 00's. Hands down.

Angular art rock. Brilliant.

The greatest album from one of the greatest song writers of his generation. Sadly missed.


When rhythm trumps melody you know it is special.

A flawless album. Unlike anything since.

America's best indie band doing their thing.


Daft Punk must be gutted. Their sound times a thousand.

Even though it won the Mercury prize this album is awesome

The best album of any decade

They are the only band to make it twice because they are the best - by far.

A totally unique pop record. One of my favourites of all time.

If you want to know why he's so good - listen to 'Sylvia Plath'

Intricate and clever. He is Indie's darling for a reason.

Itchy beats. Fidgety sounds. A tight record. Essential.

phew!

dg

1 comment:

Timothy J Swann said...

Fantastic to see Lift Yr. Skinny Fists in there... I really want to make music/see music made like that, with a message to bring.