Wednesday 19 November 2008

lu.mi.nes.cence

I saw a perfect winter’s morning. The sun was low in the sky, just above the green hills, yet still bright and warm. The sky was a clear, vivid blue but only for a wisp of cloud. The air was cold and still. Then as I looked closer at this scene, towards the top, I saw it fray in the centre. As I reached out I realised that this wasnt an actual vista, but it was a painting on a canvas.

The canvas continued to fray in the centre and soon the fray became a rip and the rip became a laceration until eventually the scene had become completely torn. However behind the rip was something even more beautiful. The brightest light imaginable shone from beyond the torn edges. A light so bright I could not bare to look at it because when it did catch my gaze I could feel it burn instantly in the back of my eyes.

The light was so radiant and so bold that it appeared to be solid. I was frightened to even raise a hand to shield my face. It felt as if I were even a single inch closer then I would be totally consumed. This light was so brilliant I could sense it not only with my sight, but by touch and taste and smell. I could even hear this light and it was ringing loud. Nothing else could be heard, yet it was a strange sound like a whisper and an explosion and a breath all at once.

As I stood, paralysed by the luminescence, I could feel my face changing. My body was starting to glow. It shone first from my face, then my hands and eventually my entire body. It was shining from both the surface of my skin and deep within from some unknown inner place. Light breaking through light. It was a thousand sensations all at once. Sheer joy. Utter silence. Intense energy. I had become the light.

At this moment, transformed into the body of light, I fell still. As I stood illuminated I felt lucid and beautiful, as if for the first time, truly alive.

No comments: