Thursday 13 November 2008

A Similar Voice

Today I stumbled upon a blog by a friend of mine, Adrian McCartney,
who is a lovely man who leads a church just outside of Belfast... the words of his latest post echos many of my own feelings on 'the modern worship movement'... and here is a great excerpt:
Now I detest being told the latest worship leader is in town and we should all go to see or hear him/her. I have not bought a CD for over ten years and strangely seem no worse off in terms of my spiritual journey. If anything I am even more energised about following Jesus than I have ever been. I deplore adverts to buy worship, competitions to see who has sold the most, worship concerts, launching a CD, and “they have their own sound”. Can you imagine advertising the sale of your pastoral care, having a chart with best pastors on it, a theatre where you could come and watch someone delivering the latest pastoral care, launching your latest best pastoral care phrases in multiple languages and having a manager and a tour?Preserve me from the madness that has beset us!
amen

dg

1 comment:

Styx of Rock said...

The cult of personality which the church has been swallowed up in for the last 20 years or so, needs to be erradicated and soon. Keep sounding the warnings pal, and hopefully others will listen and act as well.