Friday 29 January 2010

7 Things... Part Three: Write for my Church

When finishing a song or choosing which of my songs to use I definitely think a lot about my church; where it's at; what it can cope with; what would be helpful...

But when I'm writing, when I'm creating the song, I don't write for my church. I write for my King.

That sounds very holy of me, doesn't it? But I'm not trying to get a semantical one-up against other song writers, I've just noticed that other writers can be so consumed with trying to write what will work for their church that they can lose sight of what will bless their God.

And all good worship songs, and I mean ALL of them, are written to worship Him. Getting it to work at church...? That comes later.

dg

2 comments:

R. Jay said...

Hello! Just bloghopping. Great blog!

Happy blogging! :)

Andy said...

Got a thought on this too!

I agree again songs must be for God first, but it's like I often look through a lense of my church and see what may fit and help them connect with God, it's a subconcious thing for me a little, but I know there are songs which I feel the Father is steering me towards for my church. The rest just flows I suppose!