Friday 24 April 2009

The Green Lantern


Since 1940 the mantle of 'The Green Lantern' and his 'Power Ring' has been held by a number of characters from the DC universe. The Green Lanterns themselves are powerless - but the ring of power that they have been entrusted with  "gives the user great control over the physical world as long as the wielder has sufficient willpower and strength to wield it."

There becomes no limit to his abilities. 
"Each Green Lantern wields a power ring that can generate a variety of effects, sustained purely by the ring wearer's strength of will. The greater the user's willpower, the more effective the ring. The limits of the power ring's abilities are not clearly defined and it has been referred to as "the most powerful weapon in the universe" on more than one occasion. Across the years, the ring has been shown capable of accomplishing anything within the imagination of the ring bearer"
The only limit is his imagination. Nothing more. Anything he can conceive can be achieved in an instant. The ring allows him infinite power and compels him to use it for good.
"Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:20-21)
Jesus tells his disciples (that's us, people) that 'nothing will be impossible' for us. I find it disconcerting that He says 'for you'. He doesn't say  'Nothing will be impossible for me'  or 'through me'  or 'with me'. Does Jesus needs to have a look at His theology? Surely it's never US who do anything? Or is it?

We are not limited by our imaginations in the same way the Green Lantern is. But Jesus tells us we are limited by our faith. He is not suggesting that it is our power that can achieve these things - equally the Green Lantern's power is not his own; it is the ring's - but it is the limitations of our faith that preclude us from experiencing more of the 'impossible'.

Often I wonder why I have the faith of a mountain but I can't move a mustard seed? 
There can feel like a big disconnect between what I believe can happen and what I see occurring. Part of that is the 'now but not yet' of the Kingdom of God - but I suspect that the disconnect between my beliefs and my experiences are as great as I would think. 

Maybe I get exactly what I truly believe.

If my view of God was bigger or my faith in His power, provision and purposes greater would I see more of the 'impossible'? I think so. I think that was Jesus is trying to tell us.
...and I shall shed my light over dark evil.
For the dark things cannot stand the light,
The light of the Green Lantern!
(The Green Lantern's oath)
dg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I posted a comment elsewhere today about this exact thing. Why do we not see what we want and hope and pray for?

And its a downward spiral, as the more we don't see it, the less we believe we are ever going to see it. Its something that I simply don't understand. I will never stop asking for it though, and I know it is possible.