Thursday 30 April 2009

Rorschach


The violent, vigilante of the Watchmen comics isn't exactly a hero. 

Alan Moore wanted to explore what a real 'Batman' type vigilante would be like and what he would believe in. His answer? 

"a nutcase"

His extreme right wing views and moral absolutism make him an unsympathetic protagonist. He fiercely adheres to his black white view of the world; of good and evil. He is merciless and he is brutal. 

So I am not suggesting him as a role model.

But there is one facet of his character that fascinates me; his refusal to compromise what he believes to be right
Nite-Owl: Rorschach...? Rorschach, wait! Where are you going? This is too big to be hard-assed about! We have to compromise!
Rorschach: No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
"Not even in the face of Armageddon." - his words remind me of Job:
I will never admit you are in the right;
till I die, I will not deny my integrity.
I will maintain my righteousness and never let go of it;
my conscience will not reproach me as long as I live (Job 27:5)
Of course compromise is a regular part of life and relationships-  you can't have what you want, all of the time - but it is one thing to compromise your desires and another thing entirely to compromise your values.

The dictionary defines 'Values' as: a person's principles or standards of behavior; one's judgment of what is important in life.  If you don't stand for what is important then you do not stand at all.

So many people are willing to sacrifice what they believe to be right in the name of peace or unity. But what use is peace and unity when what you are doing is wrong?

Integrity is everything. It allows you authority and authenticity. It makes your voice louder and your words stronger. Right ideas are not enough; they must be backed with right actions.

Proverbs 13 states: 
The integrity of the upright guides them,
But the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.
The compromise of values will always end up in ruin. Even if you achieve short term success or harmony - eventually the duplicity will bite you on the backside. 

In his last journal entry Rorschach writes:
For my own part, regret nothing. Have lived life, free from compromise ... and step into the shadow now without complaint
I hope as I look back on my life and my walk with God I can view my journey as one of integrity and honesty

dg

No comments: