Wednesday 15 April 2009

A Holy Haunting

Fear is not one of God’s motivational tools.

“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”

Yet there are truths, verses and commands that ‘haunt’ me. They don’t produce fear but they do inspire caution and it’s good to be careful sometimes.

One of the things that ‘haunts’ me is this part of Jesus’ conversation with the Samaritan women at the well in John 4:

“...the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshippers the Father seeks.”

Am I the kind of worshipper that the Father seeks?
Or am I another kind… the unsought kind?
Am I a Pharisee?

One thing I know for certain is that I can talk some darn good worship talk. I mean, I’ve got some pretty nailed on theology:

I have a clearly defined set of values; I can tell you why we worship; I can tell you what’s important and why; I can set these values and this theology in motion in our church; I can argue with clarity and authority to defend my position or to challenge another’s misunderstandings; I can articulate these things in articles or blog posts or seminars and be quite convincing (if I don’t say so myself!); I can win the argument.

So back to my last question

Am I a Pharisee, because I sure sound like one sometimes?

As you can imagine I have some ideas and some strong opinions on what it means to ‘worship the Father in spirit and truth’, yet I think even that in itself can mean I end up missing the point.

It is not a puzzle to be solved; a metaphysical Rubik’s Cube. Perhaps it is not the answers that are important, but the ‘haunting’. Perhaps what it most required is not that I work out what to do and then try and do it - but what is most required is that I live haunted by the imperceptible truth.

Earlier in the John 4 passage Jesus likens what He can give to the image of water; ‘eternal life’ which means we won’t have to ever be ‘thirsty again’.

We are satisfied before we worship. Our satisfaction and security and fulfillment does not come from the ‘right’ kind of worship but only from Him. Simply receiving Him. Drinking from that well.

Am I the kind of worshipper that the Father seeks?
Or am I another kind… the unsought kind?
Am I a Pharisee?

I do not want to be a Pharisee; always ‘right’ but never good.
I want those questions always to linger, to never resolve, to continue to haunt me and keep me cautious; aware of my own pride and religiosity.

I am happy to be haunted….

….He is the Holy Ghost after all.

1 comment:

Kev Burgess said...

Hi David,

Funny you posted this. I've been reading Colossians recently and am well struck by the amount of "religion" they seem to have been living under when it came to worship. Fortunately, I think ole Paul put them right. We could do with more Paul's I think.
Anyway, the bit that jumped out at me today is this:

"Watch out for people who try to dazzle you with big words and intellectual double-talk. They want to drag you off into endless arguments that never amount to anything. They spread their ideas through the empty traditions of human beings and the empty superstitions of spirit beings. But that's not the way of Christ...You don't need a telescope, a microscope, or a horoscope to realize the fullness of Christ, and the emptiness of the universe without him. When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything."

This to me is such a release from the pressure, you don't need to get into complex arguments about where and when and how and with whom. You just need to receive (as you said). The very fact I came across this post today I think means that God is speaking on this subject. Love it.

"Entering into this fullness (the fullness of Christ) is not something you figure out or achieve."

Finally I realise that Christ's response to the woman at the well was after she had questioned him on a matter of religion / religious tradition.

"Our ancestors worshiped God at this mountain, but you Jews insist that Jerusalem is the only place for worship, right?"

Jesus response was the quote that haunts you (and me). According to Jesus, God isn't interested in that conversation as much as He is in our hearts. I find this hard to hear, as much of our time in church (particularly in worship leading circles) can be consumed with talking about religious things. My question is then about how we lovingly refuse to deal on this level, and maintain a servant heart to our congregations?